Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

About Me

My photo
Since I was about knee-high, I have always had a passion for fashion. It was only in my teens that I really found my true identity and loved to dress in anything that was considered "fashionable" at the time. Fashion fads:- Soul Girl; Trendabilly; Psychobilly; Rockabilly; 1950s style; 1940s style.

Saturday 7 May 2011

Spring and Weddings are back in fashion just like Vintage Knitwear








Well I have certainly been busy these past few weeks....

I have all but knitted my fair isle 1940s sweater in maroon and grey and it just about fits me - wishing it was slightly longer in the body and that I hadn't followed the pattern truly as I went smaller on my needles where the fair isle is and wish i hadn't - oh well, a lesson learnt for next time. Pictures of the finished sweater will follow in a later post.

Today I had my hair cut and spent most of my morning scouring charity shops only to find an old P&B knitting booklet and a bio book about Garbo.

Now I am knitting another 50s cardigan two-toned in navy and grey which will form part of my collection at our October Fair. I also bought a nice late 30s/early 40s knitting pattern from Etsy, it's only a pdf but for £1.36 it's a bargain. I am not sure if I would knit it with the big bow as it detracts from the button detail and buckle but it's certainly interesting so I will knit it at some point in the near future. I am also planning to knit my first mens sweater which will be on sale in October if Stephen doesn't get his way..... As you can see from the pattern above, it's very 50s but oh so stylish.

As the weather is warming up quite nicely I have been undertaking some 1950s dirndl skirt alterations so I can wear them this summer they were a bit on the large size for me but I manage to alter them so they fit me. I might also finish an old old project to make some 40s style trousers in dark brown gaberdine, they are really wide and the fabric is very heavy so they will hand well. You wouldn't believe that I actually started the project some 2 years ago, if not more. Yes I know, it's been a while but the knitting does take priority and the sewing I just fit in when I am in the mood to get my sewing machine out of it's box.

Well the theme most recently has been Weddings and we were guests at Stephen's niece's wedding on the Sunday. I wore my "Jonathan Logan" dress again (as seen above with my very "chap" looking husband) as i thought it was appropriate wedding attire. It's quite a tight dress but as it's truly upholstered and being vintage, very well-made, it really held up for the day. The bride looked gorgeous and the bride's mum was looking very smart in her hand-made "50s" style dress and jacket.

That's it now, back to the knitting and planning my summer wardrobe and looking forward to the next Vintage Vogue Fair on 2 October. Our April event was a big success with over 750 people visiting as you can see me above with Rayna. I managed to do some shopping and I bought a lovely 50s evening dress with a full skirt and an interesting jacket and dress for a bargain price.

I will blog again soon with more knitting news.


No comments:

Post a Comment